Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

What do you say to taking chances?

My cousin Steven is going to Leeds England! (Chinese speaking- WEIRD!) The monday before his farewell, we went to Tucano's for dinner (all 40+ extended relatives of us). It was SO GOOD. but SO MUCH FOOD. Ugh I probably gained 20 pounds in one night... Anyway, I tried some new foods! I am a picky eater but I just decided to try some things just so I could say I had tried them. I included some of the other rarities that I have tried over the years.
Food #1- Chicken Heart. Taste like chicken? No... It was just kinda tough and chewy and slightly tasteless? Didn't like it, but it wasn't excruciating.
Food #2- Quail Egg. This was in the salad bar, and I guess it makes sense to use quail eggs since they're itty bitty, and usually people don't want to take a whole chicken egg at the salad bar, but if you cut them open, they get all gross.... etc. etc. etc. Anyway, it looked like an eyeball, so I was kinda hesitant, but it just tasted like a bland chicken egg. No big.
Food #3- Pig's ear. This was when I was 14 at Youth Conference in Flower Mound. We had like beach side team-building activities, and they roasted an ENTIRE pig, like every body part was still there. I tried part of the ear, and it tasted like greasy 10x overcooked bacon.
Food #4- Horse Jerky. There was a biology presentation last month about horses, and they passed out jerky to us before the presentation started, and we all ate it. After we ate it, they started their presentation about horses and were like, "Oh by the way... that jerky you just ate was horse." PSYCH.
Food #5- Bacon Ice Cream. Introduction to Food Science- DO NOT TAKE IT. Actually its a super easy one-credit course and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 100% in the class, so take it, just don't eat the ice cream... He gave us samples, had us fill out what we thought it was, and if we would buy it, then told us what it was and asked us whether or not we would buy it then. SICK.
Food #6- Paper & Grass. When I was a kid... I didn't play 'house' or 'tea party.' I played "Goats." I used to eat grass in our Chicago backyard pretending I was a goat, and sometimes when I was in the family room when no one was looking, I'd open a book, rip out a corner of one of the pages and just eat it. I was a funny child. :)
Food #7- Peanut butter & Cheese Sandwiches. When I was at McKamy Middle School, I made a most important discovery. I had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch everyday in a brown paper sack, and sometimes, I would have those little handy-snack crackers & cheese packs. There was much too much cheese in the packs, and I always had some left over. WHAT TO DO?! I would spread the remainder on the top of my peanut butter sandwich, and it actually tasted really good- good enough that I repeated it for the rest of my 3 years at McKamy.
Food #8- Bird Seed. I was in 5th grade, and I loved making those little bird seeder thingies where you cover a stick in peanut butter and roll it around in bird seed. One of these times I just took a big lick off the stick, and ate the bird seed. I was thinking "Hey- healthy food right? I'll try it" WRONG. sick and nasty.
Food #9- Lemon. Actually, this was a new food for Emily. My four aunts stole her away, and all of a sudden we hear them cracking up at the other table, Emily sucking on a lemon slice. She looked disgusted, but kept on shoving it in her mouth and sucking on it, then looking disgusted, shove it back in, etc. It was pretty cute, but then she rubbed her eyes that had lemon juice on them and she kind of threw a fit. Poor baby.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A mom is supposed to know her children and some of this stuff I'm reading about for the first time! Paper and Grass? Bird seed? Horse Jerky? Very interesting!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA ELISE!!! I love love the paper and grass goat story! That was so funny! And the bird seed, that was pretty good too! hahah!

    ReplyDelete