Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

So where is that fossil anyway?


Once upon a time in Chicago, there was a regional conference for our stake. I was about eight, and my mom was getting all us kids excited, because Dallin H. Oaks was going to be there, and emphasized the point that there was a modern-day apostle that we were going to see. Being a family of small children, we arrived late and sat up in the nosebleed sections. It was after arriving that Nicole (age 4) exclaimed,
"So where is that fossil anyway?"
My mom eventually wrote him a letter telling him of this experience and he wrote her back, and mom put it in Nicole's scrapbook.

Today, Dallin H. Oaks was coming to speak at my home ward's stake conference, and was going to come 45 minutes early to meet people. I decided to go and take my roommates with me and go meet him! It was wonderful! The stake conference was in the Provo Tabernacle (a BEAUTIFUL building), and soon enough, Dallin H Oaks walked in. I wasn't paying attention, because I was holding Emily, and as soon as I saw him, I'm like, "GUYS! DALLIN H. OAKS!" and my roommates were obviously paying attention and had already seen him. So we all jumped off our benches and ran up to shake his hand. He is a wonderful kind old man! But mostly, I felt that he was just another member of the church- the Lord doesn't necessarily call the most grand or extravagant people. He was a simple follower of Christ and just a happy person! As my mom shook Dallin H. Oak's hand, she motioned toward Nicole and told him that she was the one who had called him a fossil. And after all these years he remembered!

No comments:

Post a Comment