Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

It's May!

So the end of winter semester was pretty brutal... Lots of tough stuff going on, but I survived! And oh how excited was I to start spring term- new classes, new work schedule, SO MUCH FREE TIME. Little did I know that this was not how life was to be! Last week I worked 35 hours, and I am taking 8 credits. 8 credits?! What was I thinking?! It was the LONGEST week of my life, and definitely the one with the least amount of sleep. I love being busy though. I have loved diving into new classes and working my tail off. This term I'm taking Math 362- Survey of Geometry, Intermediate Clothing Construction, and Guitar! I love all of my classes, but the nerd in me is LOVING my geometry the most. We talk for hours about abstract concepts that totally make my brain hurt, but it is all super interesting. It brings me back to the good ol' days of freshman year where Brother Robison was my geometry teacher at my first class after moving to Washington. Brother Robison became a good friend and mentor during my growing up years, and I will always be grateful for the powerful impact he had on my life. (sorry- tangent). Anyway, GEOMETRY. SO COOL. We were asked to look up some scriptures on what it means to be "straight" and these are some that I came up with:



Ecclesiasties 1:15“That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.” (not
crooked)


Luke 3:5“Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth. (Absence of concavity)


Ezekiel 1:23“And under the firmament were their wings straight, the one toward the other: every one had two, which covered on this side, and every one had two, which covered on that side, their bodies.” (infinite line segment, going in opposite directions of each other)


1 Samuel 6:12“And the kine took the straight way to the way of Beth-shemesh, and went along the highway, lowing as they went, and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left, and lords of the Philistines went after them unto the border of Beth-shemesh.” (no curves, or turns)


Doctrine and Covenants 3:2“For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round.” (Straightness of a sphere)


Jeremiah 31:9“They shall come with weeping, and with supplications, will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the
rivers of water in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn” (alignment, parallel)


Here's a tricky question for you:

Is the equator a straight line?

RIGHT?!? So thought provoking. Anyway here' some more goodness:


Anyway, that's pretty much all I got concerning geometry. Sewing is freaking hard. I don't like it, haha. And guitar is pretty fun; I've had little time to practice, so I need to catch up on that. Anyway, the point is... I'm missing my family a bit right now.... and Cory... haha. But hopefully I'll see both of them at the end of June in CALIFORNIA!! Two weekends from now, Krista, Kim, and I are going down to Vegas for Emily & Tristrams wedding which will be really fun, and then we will drive back Sunday morning... when Cory will be here to visit me :) Stoked. That's all that's really going on... Next time I will post when I have something substantial to say haha.

2 comments:

  1. Elise! You are crazy for taking 8 credits in the spring!! But good on ya...sad to see Tristram is marrying Not Krista..HAHA, just kidding :) Stop by Monroe on your drive if you need to be called an old hag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. I am laughing so hard about the Tristram comment... I think she is probably ok with it though haha. WE TOTALLY SHOULD! I will suggest this to Krista. Also, she's having her interview with the Stake President this Sunday!! So we should be seeing you soon for the mission call opening!!

    ReplyDelete