Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 3

lon-don-don-DON!

I'm in London!! Crazy right??

Anyway, its insane like... being in a different country? haha. I sound so inexperienced, but this is my first time out of the country (besides canada and nassau). And its a different experience. Not only am I completely zonked all the time (I'm supposed to be eating lunch right now in Dallas, and I am going to bed in like 5 minutes), but everything is so different here. Driving on the other side of the road, SO many international people here (even though i'm in an english speaking country, more than half the people I pass aren't speaking english), and the drivers are crazy. I saw a taxi run into a double decker bus today... kinda scary. I literally feel like I"m on the Knight bus in harry potter, people are weaving in and out of lanes really fast. Today's sights were Hyde park (BEAUTIFUL and so many different birds!!), westminster abbey, big ben, london bridge, london tower, st paul cathedral- we went to the evensong, where the choir came in and sang some hymns- that was INCREDIBLE- , the parliament building, kings cross station, rode the subway for the first time, paddington station, hampton court green, buckingham palace... etc. it was a pretty good day :)

A couple of different things I've noticed... Whenever I've come to a crosswalk that doesnt have traffic lights or a little pedestrian button, all the cars immediately stop. I don't like... have to wait for them all to go. Not something I've ever seen in the US. And when the light is red, it flashes yellow at the same time right before it goes green. I think they should do that in the US. Everyone seems so hurried. No one seems to be strolling along or stopping to smell the roses. The milk tastes really bad, and they don't have like any unhealthy breakfast items at the continental breakfast. Maybe this is why Americans are so fat haha. They dont have fingernail polish remover liquid... They have pads that make your hands greasy when you wipe your nailpolish off. just saying. And the last interesting thing I found was when I was in St. Paul's cathedral. During the evensong, we were read some scriptures, and at the end everyone prayed. (This is a catholic cathedral, btw) And during the prayer, they started out with "Father in Heaven, etc...) But then they went on to "bless this, bless that, bless him, bless her" After the "blessings, they did the thankings. (thanks for this, thanks for that). I thought this was interesting, having grown up in the church all my life, that we are specifically taught an order for our prayers. First is "Dear heavenly father" followed by the "thankings' and THEN the "blessings" Thank first, ask later. I just thought this was kind of interesting, the different focus we place in our prayers. anyway dad needs his computer kaythanksbye

No comments:

Post a Comment