Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Surgery Time!

Well the day has finally arrived. (at least it will have arrived in T-110 hours) After four years of sinus infections every few months, 7 sessions of antibiotics, a gazillion nose sprays, 5 CAT Scans, a sinus flush (which happens to be the sickest thing in the world), an MRI, and a partridge in a pear tree, they're finally fixing my stinkin sinuses! The surgery is non-invasive, but painful, they're going up through my nose to remove a mass (cyst, fungal mass or tumor) in my right maxiliary sinus. Pretty gross stuff eh? And all I have to worry about is 6 weeks of cloudy with a chance of headaches, 40% chance of severe bleeding, and .1% chance of brain damage or eye damage. comforting, i know. The bad thing is that I have to miss halloween =/ I'm kinda bummed. When people ask me what I'm gonna be, I'm like "a recovering surgery patient." ("Oh... clever!"). I'll be chillin at Uncle Bruce and Aunt Deb's house, missing some school, and hopefully getting to read some Hunger Games, which I hear is pretty darn good.

I'm about centimeters away from deciding my major... My top three are biology education, elementary education, and Family and Consumer Science Education. And frankly, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy doing all three of these things... I just have to figure out which one I'd be the MOST happy doing. And while the few who read this will be spending much consideration about the thought process I'm going through to pick one, it helps me to right it down, and just sort it through my head.
  • Biology ed- I want to work with teenagers more than I want to work with kids. I like being passionate about something, and it definitely appeals to me that biology isn't going to be an elective sluff class like Family & Consumer science might be. I'm not super stoked to take chemistry and physics classes (I really hate both of them...), but I really like biology! It's the longest of the three majors. I also would love love LOVE to get a PhD after my kids are all grown up and be a college professor & be a wildlife biologist on the side. That's pretty much my dream job.
  • Elementary Ed- I love kids. a lot. I love the idea of making my classroom all colorful and creative and making little name tags and everything that goes along with being an elementary ed teacher. I would like working with teenagers more than kids though. I love kids, but I can be impatient sometimes. Also, everyone and their mom does elementary education. Kinda want to be different.
  • Family & consumer science- pretty much, this would be the funnest job ever. I would get to learn about things that are way fun, things I'm going to use in my future home, and work with teenagers. However, when I took this in middle school, all the kids who took it were like the kids who just wanted an easy grade. I want to make kids passionate about what they're learning about, and if I get all the dumb jocks and cheerleaders in the class I might puke.
And that is all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Those are good things to say about that. I am very fond of you as it turns out. And i'm leaning towards Bio Ed for you for some reason. But what I say just don't matter.

    ReplyDelete