Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Where I'm From

A poem I wrote when I was 18, modeled after George Ella Lyon's poem, "Where I'm From"


I am from camera flashes and bullet trains. From ‘such a tall nose!’ I am from pigtails and polka dots. From cheese under the cupboard and dry oatmeal. Earthworms and seeds below, and purple skies and stars above. I’m from the fox in the bathroom, the fire in the lamp, and “If I had words, to make a day for you.” 10 layers of clothing in 6 foot snow tunnels and an orange swimsuit in the Nelson’s pool. I am from the pet store cage under the crib and goodnight moon.

I am from the swinging fencepost, opening up a passage way to a magical summer apple orchard. I am from power rangers and tinker toy inventions. I’m from pack-it-all-up and move-it-on-out. I’m from a wet pillow case and a floor littered with Kleenex. A weeping willow and a rock fence; alphabet blocks on the TV and a pink bathroom. I am from tall dry grass and crickets singing under pink and orange sky. I’m from Michael’s and McDonald’s, Kirkpatrick, and capiche, Brahm’s and barges. I’m from 5 minute monsoons and mirages on the driveway. I’m from a wooden castle, barefoot soccer games, and piles and piles of trash from wisdom creek. I’m from mud between the toes, and q-tips up the nose. From scores of notebooks with stories and funnies. From joy and laughter, fireworks and a rusty trampoline. I’m from phase 10, ding-dong-ditches, chain stories by the fire place, and gravy with cornstarch.

I am from Pete’s dragon and “You are beautiful.” I am from squeak time and “I love you.” I am from a thousand mile suburban, from sea to shining sea. I am from North Carolina, El Salvador, Rome. I am from Uganda, and bamboo huts. I am from giraffe slobber and ostrich thieves. I am from a balloon and a letter every April 6th. From baking soda and vinegar bubbles beneath my feet on the sand. I am from the solitary flower growing in the sidewalk cracks. I am a Steed in Nauvoo, and a child of the promise. I am a wizard and a vampire, a cancer patient, and a Nephite.

I’m from puddles. Puddles and numbers. A lot of numbers. I’m from integrals and derivatives, optimization and Pythagoreans. I’m velocity. I’m velocity and acceleration. I’m from I-5 and 228th, from brake and gas. I’m from Jerome county Idaho. I’m from dirt and striped socks, 8 foot strings of beads. I’m from viva piƱata and a blue snowboard. I’m from tears and warm embraces, from heartbreak and prom shoes, from “Leave me alone,” to “Why did you leave me?” I’m from ‘cry me a river,’ and 'walkin’ on sunshine.’ I’m from, “O Lord, I have trusted in thee and I will trust in the forever.” I’m from saying goodbye for good.

I’m from a greasy pizza kitchen and ugly green aprons. I’m from ebullience and identical twins. From oatmeal for breakfast and Raman for dinner… every day. I’m from Route 832 and Sunday dinners at home. I’m from an 8 foot wave of brown slush and a crab named Conner. I’m from “I’m sorry… I have to go flush my fish.” from “yeah… I don’t like that” and, “can I have your number?” I’m from the future and dreams of the past. I’m from a blue gown and cap, a diploma in hand. I’m from a wedding reception in my backyard. I’m from a happy home and classroom of students, ready to learn. But, I’m still from those pigtails and polka dots. 

1 comment:

  1. "Yeah... I like that"

    Haha i do like that. that is good bliss:)

    Also, write more stanzas!!!!!!!! You were just getting to the best parts!

    ReplyDelete